Patrick's Lounge & Restaurant, Gozo

Dieting is all about balance. Life is all about balance. However every once in a while you would like a little extravagance. We like to balance our hectic lifestyles and work lives by spending an unplugged few days on our sister island, Gozo.

When in Gozo we try new places, revisit old favourites and luxuriate in long dinners without the headache of having to wake up early the next day.

One of our regular haunts is Patrick's Lounge & Restaurant in Victoria, Gozo. Until some time ago I would have said, without a doubt, that this is one of my favourite restaurants in Malta (and Gozo). But the perfect facade is peeling somewhat, and there is a slight hint of pretentiousness, especially when it comes to wine, that has dampened my love for the place. I still love it though, and I urge everyone to visit it.

I can say that this is the place for a fine meal. The meat selection on the menu is especially pleasing, with all meat dishes I have tasted always well turned out, and dare I say it, delicious (I hate over-using this word, but it is merited in this case). For all the carnivores out there, cuts like the chateaubriand are cooked to perfection, and the pork cheeks are melt in your mouth fireworks of flavour.

One thing that has disappointed me in my visits to Patrick's Tmun is one of the starters - the "pan seared foie gras" is a little bit too much on the sweet side, in such a way that the sweetness detracts from the rest of the flavours and overpowers your senses. Otherwise, all other starters are good, some of them even excellent.

Another item that overpowers the senses is the wine list. It is a heavy tome, which has in the past received a number of awards. I love a good wine list, BUT there is one thing I do not tolerate, and this is when wine is served by persons not properly trained in serving it. On my last visit to Patrick's Tmun, the first bottle of wine was quickly drunk and a second was ordered. The waitress came over with the second bottle, it was tasted in a fresh glass (till here all is well), and she proceeded to pour the wine around the table. Everyone's glass was empty barring mine - my glass was still half full from the previous bottle, and the waitress went straight to pour wine from the new bottle into my half full glass. Call me a wine snob, but in a place which places such an emphasis on it's wine as this, so much so that they have published a book about wine (!), this is a great big no-no. I quickly covered my wine glass, and explained to the waitress that wine from a new bottle should not be poured into a glass containing wine from another bottle. Why I should be explaining this is already worrying in a wine award winning restaurant. At that specific point in time the owner passes by, and is quick to interject saying "Oh no, don't worry it is the same kind of wine so it does not matter".

I could not believe it. My dinner companions all could not believe it (and two of them are major wine connoisseurs). While it was true that the wine was from the same producer, and the same grape, what was different between the two bottles was the year of production. So why does an award winning restaurant owner (who won the award specifically for wine) say something like this? MAJOR points are detracted from Patrick's Restaurant & Lounge for this.

I know dear readers that this is very much the pinnacle of first world problems.

This would not have been so much of an issue if the establishment in question weren't so quick to celebrate its love for wine, and proclaim itself a "definite favourite among foodies". Too much self-love will get in the way of innovation.

This does not mean we have stopped eating here, and we will definitely go back. It is, all things considered, highly recommended.

Readers, if in Gozo and you would like a treat, this is the place for a good meal. While prices are mid to high range (depending on what you order), be sure to call and book in advance.

Patrick's Tmun:
Europe Street, Victoria Gozo, Malta, VCT 2735
phone number: +356 21 566 667
online reservations: http://patrickstmun.com/ 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ta' Bertu

PFGT in Malta! with Stretta Beer

Il Corsaro Ristorantino